January Spotify Playlist


If you've read my previous monthly playlist posts, you may notice that this one lacks inspiration. I considered skipping this month but felt compelled to highlight my favourite (yes, only one!) from this playlist; so here we are, with Black Water by Timber Timbre.

Black Water was recommended to me. When I listened to it properly, on my own for the first time, I was instantly drawn in by the mellow vocals and relatable hook, "all I need is some sunshine,  all I nee-e-e-e-d". It's a perfectly apt song for the colder months. Come February we are all hoping for 'some sunshine' to cure our winter blues. Moreover, I was rather easily fascinated by the unintelligible ending to the song. When I turned to Google for help, some websites determined the song ends with a repetition of "black water (pull me down)" (plausible), whereas another claimed it ends with a repetition of "but I want a good thing, want a good thing". The latter seems far-fetched, if you ask me. Personally, I can hear what sounds like a muffled repetition of "water", but when I lower the volume it sounds like a repetition of "modern life"? Although I would like to know the actual lyrics, for now I feel content with the ambiguity - I think it makes the song a little more atmospheric.

Besides Black Water, I enjoyed listening Shit In Your Cut more this month, and the song by Manchester Orchestra, which I hadn't heard before.

(Is it me or does this post take a quick turn the moment Shit In Your Cut is said?)

Finally, the majority of my off-playlist music consisted of New Order's album, 'Substance'. My favourite song, Kiss Of Death, is sadly not on Spotify (at the moment?), but can be listened to here.

Ang

No comments